Thursday, March 5, 2009

February

I give up trying to post about everything that we do. I am just becoming too busy. So here are a few highlights from February.


Right before Valentine's Day, we went on an awesome field trip to DC. We visited the National Postal Museum. I didn't even know such a thing existed! We went a Valentine's Day workshop to make free Valentine's Day cards. They had card stock, tons of cancelled stamps, scented markers, and fun paper to embellish and decorate your card. My kids had a lot of fun. Then we spent about 2 minutes rushing through to actually see a couple exhibits. (We had to rush, because I didn't want my parking meter to expire!) It was really interesting and I wish we could have spent a little more time looking around.
Posing in a Stagecoach
We left there and went to the National Air & Space Museum to eat lunch. On the way to the cafeteria, we passed a new exhibit and planned to stop on our way out. When we did go through the exhibit which was called "How Things Fly" It was ALL hands on activities and I could not drag my kids away. Our timing even put us there for a paper airplane flying contest. Spidey tied for first and got a small prize.

When I was able to get them away, we headed across the mall to the National Archives. We had been studying the Constitution and Bill of Rights. They all thought it was neat to see the actual documents in their glass cases. While in the Archives building we stopped at the Learning Center. There the kids got to be "researchers' wearing gloves and using magnifying glasses. They all worked together to complete an activity on all the different places that were at one time the capital of the U.S. I think they liked getting to sign their own copy of the Declaration of Independence. If I told them it was educational, they would not have had nearly as much fun.

Mom and Elefly

ELEFLY IS NOW 10!

Our other big event for the month was a special birthday. I now have a ten year old! We went to my mom's house to celebrate with our families. We had a great weekend, and Elefly had fun seeing a few of her cousins. You can see my cake creation in the picture below. Yes, I actually made it and was proud of myself. Typically I am not very crafty, but I enjoy making my kids fun birthday cakes. Of course, she loved it.


1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to see you are taking advantage of all the history around you - I miss it so much. Make sure you go to Monticello and Mt. Vernon sometime, and Williamsburg, and Appomattox, and the Blue Ridge Parkway and Natural Bridge. . .okay, I'll stop there! That cake is amazing - how did you learn to do that?! We had the women's retreat this weekend, and I missed you again. . .hope we can see you sometime this summer!

    ReplyDelete