I am terrible at juggling. Throwing and catching one ball - piece of cake. Two? I can handle that, too. Add that third ball and sometimes I can manage all three for a few seconds, but then they fly, bounce, and scatter every which way. We all have to juggle in our lives, too. Kids, volunteering, chauffeuring, fun, dates with my spouse, and, of course, time with God are just a few of the things I juggle daily. The list could keep going.
Juggling fascinates me. I do it all the time in my life. But when too many things creep into my daily schedule, I begin to get out of control. My patience wears thin and I still try finish all the "to do's", but don't necessarily do a good job at each one. Those closest to me probably suffer the most. That is when I take a step back. What happens when you move away from the balls you are trying to keep aloft? They scatter, bounce, and eventually roll to a stop.
One verse I really like, and often recall, is from Psalms 46:10, "Be still, and know that I am God." I need to stop, take a step back, and focus on God. Spending just a few minutes with Him in the midst of craziness helps bring everything back into focus. After sitting at my Savior's feet and listening, I am ready to gather the wayward balls and try again. I can't do it alone, and He isn't asking me to.
I so needed this reminder tonight...I've had a rough week, with sick kids, birthdays to plan, school to do, laundry to catch up on after vacation, dr. appt's, etc... THANKS!!! You are so often an encouragement to me!
ReplyDelete